Monday, November 10, 2008

My bike is off to Arizona

This morning I took my bike to Cadence Cycling in Tribeca and sent it off on its way to Tempe AZ. Guess this means its only days before my very first attempt to become an Ironman. Not quite sure how I feel about all this these days. Clearly I have mixed emotions. Am I prepared? Did I train enough? What if its hot and windy? Blah Blah Blah.

On the other hand, my last few workouts were all pretty solid. While I never rode the full 112 mile distance on the bike, my last few bike rides felt good, at times almost effortless and comfortable. My runs are slowly evolving into a slower but steady trot. For the most part I have been injury free, just a slight harmstring pull. With only twelve days to go, this is not the time to worry about my training or any lack of it. Now it is simply time to taper, to start resting up.

Over the past days, I have feverishly read up on race reports from IMAZ veterans. Most of them left me worried, disturbed as they talked about high winds, excessive heat, horrible conditions. Then I try to calm myself down, arguing in my head that the weather in later November should be ok, much cooler than the traditional April race date.

So, in short this is my state of mind right now. For one minute worried, scared, the next, confident and eager to get the race going. What fun the next 12 days will be.

No comments: