Friday, November 21, 2008

2 days to IMAZ - I'm here in Tempe!

We got into Tempe late last night. Me meaning myself and my friend Sigrid who is joining me on the trip, calming my nerves and documenting the adventure with her camera.


After a leisurely breakfast we headed to the Ironman Village. My first impressions: this is quite different from any of the races I have done so far. It's bigger, more serious, very organized and a bit intimidating. Guys and girls with hot bodies, hot bikes in very colorful outfits running, cycling, shopping gear and souvenirs. But after a few moments of awe I realize, "hey, I am one of them". So I get in line for registration. After the weigh-in, a wonderful registration volunteer in her sixties immediately pegs me as an Ironman newbie. "I can always tell first timers by their body language" she tells me. So one thing's for sure, I won't fool anyone here, this people have done it, or at least seen it all before.
With registration out of the way, it was over to the good folks at Tribike Transport to get my Cervelo. What lovely service. within minutes my bike is race ready. So, all I needed to do this morning I have done. It's warm (quite warm in fact), very dry and we are hungry.
So, lunch at PF Changs , back to the hotel for some rest and figuring out all those colorful transition bags.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck in the race! You certainly came from far enough way. Enjoy the weather, and if you like to let loose after the race a little bit, Tempe is an awesome town in which to do it. Also, check out YC's Mongolian BBQ if you like PF Changs. Its a SUPER fun place to eat. Not the same style of food either.

Josh

Anonymous said...

alles gute und verausgabe dich nicht zu viel .... die schwadorfer