Sunday, March 9, 2008

Huffing and Puffing 15K Colon Cancer Challenge


I have no idea why I thought that today's 15K Colon Cancer Challenge in Central Park would be a good race for me. My running training has been sketchy, the whole week I had been battling sinus issues, and it was cold and windy when I woke up this morning. After the Cherry Tree 10 mile race just a couple of weeks ago in Prospect Park, this was the second late winter race for me. This time I wanted to improve over my decent performance last time out and come in at a 7.30 minute pace. For whatever reason, today, this proved utterly impossible. With temperatures below freezing and gusty winds, I never really hit my stride this morning. The first four miles I was able to stay on target, but then completely fell apart. Every minor hill proved a challenge and the last two mile of the race I had runners of all shapes and sizes just whizzing past me. At the end, with a time of 1.13.12 I barely stayed under 8 minutes a mile and felt completely winded. Time that this winter comes to an end now and a nice Spring season will allow me to get into a a more consistent training routine.

1 comment:

Laura said...

If it makes you feel any better, I felt terrible in today's race too. That wind was brutal! And you still beat me by a good 11 minutes :)