Friday, July 18, 2008

Getting Ready for New York



The New York City Triathlon has always been a favorite race of mine. Notwithstanding the trials and tribulations that participating in this large, urban race brings with it. The mandatory race briefing a day or two before the event, the hassle of having to rack your bike the evening before the race, the chance someone could simply take away your wetsuit while you are using the potty (yes, that has happened to me), the madness of competing against and with 3000 triathletes in the mid summer heat and humidity of the Big Apple. But hey, its New York, the great city I call home for the last seven years. Thus, in a couple of days, I will compete for the fourth time in this race. Once I had to forfeit last minute due to illness. I have always done fairly well here. My course record, and Olympic Distance PR is 2.27.08, in 2005, placing 42nd out of 164 competitors in my age group.
So today I went to the mandatory briefing and the race expo, picked up a new pair of tri shorts and wondered how to make the early morning commute on Sunday easiest. Now that I am competing in the 45-49 age group I will be in one of the very last swim waves, starting almost two hours after the transition area closes. One option, seriously to be considered, is setting up transition already tomorrow afternoon and not even bothering on race morning, heading directly to the swim start a mile north. This may require allot of confidence that nothing will go awry for about 14 hours with the delicate transition set up, but it will yield an extra hour of sleep.
As for my goals: definitely to beat my bike splits and to coe close to my PR, depending on heat and humidity and the current in the Hudson.

No comments: